To say I have been lacking creativity lately would be a true statement. A few weeks ago I began working on some art for Hannah’s room, but didn’t feel inspired to finish them. I have learned from many failed projects that if I’m not into it I need to walk away and wait for my heart to be in it.
I penciled in my lettering first, then went over it with sharpie. The above picture is half way through my plumping phase. I simply add depth to the letters and make them pop more. And that is where I left it for weeks. Then yesterday I was inspired.
I decided to do a slight ombré effect. I penciled off sections 2 inches in from the edges (pictured above). Then I chose my two paint colors (white and deep pink). I mixed the colors half and half and painted the middle section. Then I split the mixed paint in half. One half I lightened by adding 2 tablespoons of white, the other half I darkens by adding 2 tablespoons of deep pink. I painted each section on either side of the middle section and continued to the edge. I then used a dry brush to blend the edges of each section (I forgot to take a picture at this stage…sorry).
This paint dried all day. In the evening I mixed white paint and water (equal parts) and painted from the center out to the edges. Then I used a dry paper towel to white wash the canvas. This lighted everything and pulled some paint off to give it a more rustic look (I used tempera paint for this purpose).
Then I let the canvas dry all night. In the morning I used a sharpie to go back over the lettering. Lastly I sealed it with a spray clear enamel.