DIY Hair Bow Holder

I am a Pinterest fan and have been finding fun projects for Hannah’s room for months now. I completed one of them this week and can’t wait to use it!

Materials:

  • Picture frame (11 x 14 or bigger)
  • Paint (optional)
  • Ribbon
  • Hot glue

I used an old picture frame and simply removed the glass and backing. I then painted it to make it go with my color scheme. 


So then I gathered pink ribbons (I had plenty in my gift wrapping basket) and hot glued them to the backside of the frame. 



I then made a decorative knot for the corner of the frame and hung it on the wall. 


Super simple, and super cute!

Door Decor Died—Time to Make a New One!

Almost two years ago I posted on Shining the Light in Third Grade a DIY for a burlap wreath (check it out here!). This beauty has been a GREAT front door wreath for years and was so much fun to switch out the add-ons each month.

burlap wreath

But slowly the wreath has died. The burlap is warn out, the R is losing is crisp coat of paint, and all in all I just need to start over.


So I have disassembled the old wreath (because why should I buy all new materials if some of them are still good?—I do not have money to waste) and found new inspiration!!!

As you can see my new inspiration is less full, but still very fun! I think I can use this inspiration to continue to switch out pieces throughout the year to make the same wreath festive for each season.

When I disassembled my old wreath I was left with this:


I decided to reuse the foam wreath, pins, and burlap!!! The “R” I think I can repaint and use for something else around the house (maybe a simple Christmas ornament???). If you are going to make this wreath from new materials you will need:

  • 1 foam wreath (mine is a 14″)
  • about 150 floral pins
  • 5″ wide burlap, cut into 5″ squares

I simply folded each 5×5 burlap square in half. Then I used two floral pins to secure it to the front of the foam wreath (one pin on each side). I layered the burlap folds about 3/4″ apart to add some texture to the wreath (this is why the picture above is simply inspiration—not a recreation!).

When you get close to going all the way around the wreath, you will need to pull the first fold up a little to tuck the bottom of the last fold. The full wreath at this point should look like this:


I have purchased a new, larger “R” and painted it with a high gloss white paint. I hope the high gloss paint will allow the weather to not affect the letter so much (with the last wreath I used a tempera paint).


I also am adding a white burlap bow to the side of my wreath where the add-ons will be attached. This is to add some dimension and cuteness to my wreath! I am not going to hot glue the bow so that I can move it more easily with each add-on if necessary. Instead I will use a floral pin (or two) to attach the bow.

My spring add-on is a tin bucket of flowers (held on with two floral pins) and I must say…I am in LOVE!!!


New Blog Signature

 

Making Something For Her

We have been so blessed by family in the way of furniture for the nursery. Years ago my aunt and uncle gave us their entire nursery bedroom set and my grandmother gave me an old glider. I have learned to always accept the freebies and modify them to suit your style and needs. 

Over my spring break, I refinished the glider and covered the cushions. New cushions can be up to $150 and I was not about to pay that price. A new glider can be three or four times the price of new cushions! I didn’t love the oak finish of the glider or the terrible blue fabric of the cushions, so I changed them (knowing that my grandmother was fine with whatever I did to them-always ask people if they mind!)

I used a spray paint primer on the wood frame of the glider. I didn’t sand anything. Just wiped it down with a damp rag, let it dry, and sprayed a thin coat.

  Then I was able to use a satin finish, white spray paint (about 2 cans) to coat the chair. This takes time because you have to be willing to do thin layers of paint and let them dry in between. 
I finished the frame by spraying a clear, high gloss enamel over the entire frame. 

For the cushions, I bought 2 1/2 yards of upholstery fabric. I chose something girly because I’m having a girl! I folded the fabric so there were two layers and placed the cushions on top of the fabric. I then left about a 4″ edge around each cushion when I cut the fabric (for thickness of the cushions and wiggle room getting the cushions in). I sewed up three edges for both cushions with my sewing machine. I used a wide zigzag stitch to make it more secure. Next, I put the cushions in the fabric and hand stitched the fourth edge (back side of the seat cushion and bottom side of the back cushion).

I made straps for attaching the cushions out of the left over fabric, but you could also use a thick ribbon for this.   

Ta-Da!!! My glider now looks brand new, girly, and it cost me $23 in fabric, $16 in spray primer, paint, and enamel, and two partial afternoons of time!

New Blog Signature

Inspired Flower Planters

Living in the middle of the woods has its benefits! No neighbors, no worries when the grass isn’t mowed, no noise, no light, BUT I also had no reason to buy flowers for the yard for years. I have discovered though, that the joy I get from the flowers is worth the small cost.

This year my flower pots were inspired by this picture I found on Facebook. 

  
I was able to use the image and identify most of the plants at Home Depot this weekend. I bought the smallest plants of each for a few reasons:

  1. They are cheaper.
  2. You get more individual plants.
  3. I like to watch them grow and fill in the pits throughout the summer.

Here is how my front pot turned out!

 
All of these plants like part sun and will really flourish here!

For less than $20 of flowers I was able to fill three planters, one pot on a table, and one hanging basket! Can’t beat that!!!