A few years ago, as Kyle was adjusting to working for a church, we sat down as a couple to talk about our new phase in life. I was frustrated with not having a husband who would safe guard a night for us and needed to be heard. Since that night we have kept Tuesday nights as a night for us. We rarely go out on an actual date, but we do have our time together no matter what.
Marriage is tough. And the stresses of life can put a strain on anything, but especially on relationships. Our marriage is very important to both of us and we have spared ourselves many stressful, tearful nights just by saving Tuesday nights for each other.
Some things we do that don’t cost much:
- Cook together
- Watch a movie on a pallet of blankets in the living room (Redbox or something we own)
- Go fishing at the neighbor’s pond
- Go kayaking down the river (we own our kayak)
- Read a book / bible together
- Lay in our hammocks on the back porch and talk
- Take our dogs for a walk / hike
- Drive around with the windows down and sunroof open
- Play a video game together (we like Peggle, Fortune Street, and Just Dance-well, I like just dance)
Dates don’t have to cost money or be fancy. They can be simple.
I love Tuesday nights!
Yesterday we had a Tuesday day date…lunch at Cody J’s, baby appointment, shopping at REI, And That!, Motherhood Maternity, and Academy (mostly window shopping), frozen treat from Chicfila, and a car wash and vacuum (so we can install a baby seat!). Then we came home and cooked dinner together. The night ended with Kyle catching a few fish while I read a book on the dock. Nothing special, but an entire day together refills my love tank (I’m a quality time girl)!!!
How do you stay close to your spouse? Do you have a night set aside for each other? How do you do something similar with kids (my life is about to change)?