We have been so blessed by family in the way of furniture for the nursery. Years ago my aunt and uncle gave us their entire nursery bedroom set and my grandmother gave me an old glider. I have learned to always accept the freebies and modify them to suit your style and needs.
Over my spring break, I refinished the glider and covered the cushions. New cushions can be up to $150 and I was not about to pay that price. A new glider can be three or four times the price of new cushions! I didn’t love the oak finish of the glider or the terrible blue fabric of the cushions, so I changed them (knowing that my grandmother was fine with whatever I did to them-always ask people if they mind!)
I used a spray paint primer on the wood frame of the glider. I didn’t sand anything. Just wiped it down with a damp rag, let it dry, and sprayed a thin coat.
Then I was able to use a satin finish, white spray paint (about 2 cans) to coat the chair. This takes time because you have to be willing to do thin layers of paint and let them dry in between.
I finished the frame by spraying a clear, high gloss enamel over the entire frame.
For the cushions, I bought 2 1/2 yards of upholstery fabric. I chose something girly because I’m having a girl! I folded the fabric so there were two layers and placed the cushions on top of the fabric. I then left about a 4″ edge around each cushion when I cut the fabric (for thickness of the cushions and wiggle room getting the cushions in). I sewed up three edges for both cushions with my sewing machine. I used a wide zigzag stitch to make it more secure. Next, I put the cushions in the fabric and hand stitched the fourth edge (back side of the seat cushion and bottom side of the back cushion).
Ta-Da!!! My glider now looks brand new, girly, and it cost me $23 in fabric, $16 in spray primer, paint, and enamel, and two partial afternoons of time!